People unhappy with shutdown of wine shops

GUWAHATI: The Gauhati high court's order for the closure of liquor shops and bars located within 500 meter radius of educational, religious and health institutions has hit not only party aficionados but also workaholics, young tipplers (over 21years of age) and music promoters hard.

Altogether, 128 bars and lounge bars and 303 liquor shops were closed following the order, which was put into effect on August 9. Two and a half weeks after the closure of liquor shops, scores of 'booze lovers' are continuing their tedious journey to Khanapara, across the Meghalaya border in the outskirts of the city, to score whatever brands of liquor they can get hold of. They have been causing serious traffic jam in the area every evening. Since August 9, people queuing outside the wine shops have become a regular sight in the Meghalaya side of Khanapara. There have been reports of black marketing as well.

"If this was the actual parameter of the rule, the city administration should have checked the mushrooming of booze shops in the city earlier. Also, not all those who buy liquor from these shops are alcoholics. I work for six days a week and after getting home I have to engage myself with my family and it is only during the weekends that I get to unwind and relax with my friends with a peg or two," said Smita (name changed), a model and anchor.

The city witnessed a steady growth of night life here, but the GS Road molestation incident proved to be a nip-in-the-bud for the nascent night life and the closing down of bars and liquor shops is the last nail on the coffin of 'night life'.

"My prospects have been affected profusely. I am a rock music promoter and most my sponsors are popular alcohol brands and with the closure of pubs, bars and lounge bar,s it is not only the bands who are suffering but also their future prospects. 90% of my work is being affected and it creates an adverse impression on the state for being susceptible and fickle. My musicians are losing out on their employment opportunities," said David Koach.

"I need time to relax, unwind and converse with my friends, but now the charm has been taken away. People may resort to other illegal substance abuse since alcohol is the only legal intoxicant available," said an employed woman and a party aficionado.

No comments:

Post a Comment