God’s greatest gift for parents

Singer speaks of the joys of having a daughter & his latest performance


Voice of India Debojit Saha on becoming a father...

A few days ago, February 9 to be precise, I was blessed with my first child. It was the auspicious day of Maghi Purnima when the new member of our family came into the world.
You cannot imagine how happy my wife Bandana and I am. This is the biggest gift of God to us, no doubt.
I am in seventh heaven. The thrill of becoming a father is such that I cannot explain it in words. Naturally I am the happiest person on earth today. It is a moment of fulfilment and contentment.
I am happier because I have a girl child. I always have had a soft corner for the girl child because I somehow believe that girls are more caring and obedient towards their parents. This is not a general observation but only my personal feeling.
It is unfortunate that even today many in our country do not welcome a girl child with as much warmth as they would a male child. This, despite the fact that in every sphere, girls can compete with their male counterparts.
And we should not forget girls are the source of humankind. We all come from a woman’s womb. I cannot help but philosophise at this moment.
Though I will not impose anything on my child, but like all parents we, too, have some dreams about our child. My wife and I would prefer her to become a sportsperson. Why, I cannot exactly describe but maybe it is a field, which makes a person complete.
I also realise now that with fatherhood, I have an additional responsibility. I know I will have to now do a perfect balancing act between my professional and family life. I will have to give more time to my child. I don’t want to miss any moment of her growing up. 
As for the professional life, I have a few programmes and recordings lined up for the next few weeks.
Here I must also say about the recent cultural night at Guwahati where I performed along with some of the best singers of the state. As you are aware, the programme was held at Nehru Stadium and was organised as a tribute to Assamese music.
It was also a very emotional one, as Governor S.C. Mathur felicitated Asom Ratna Bhupen Hazarika.
Bhupenda, despite his ill health, was present on the occasion and even sang a few lines from some of his immortal creations.
Personally too, it was very satisfying programme for me as I got accolades for my Assamese singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment